#1 By: William Russell, December 3rd, 2018 17:02
This week's Fantasy Football Report podcast was one of the best of the season. Kudos to @hba24 & @hrr5010 for doing a super job as ever. And Joseph Redemann was an excellent guest- though dynasty-focused a lot of what he said seemed relevant to my keeper PPR league.
A few points which I thought were interesting and would like to hear more about as I head into the playoffs:
- Carolina WRs. Picked up Samuel on @DumpsterDiveFF suggestion a couple of wks back. Delighted to hear he's likely their WR2 ROS, but where does this leave Funchess? I have him too, he's a 9-10 round keeper next year but feel like he's not startable in playoffs, plus could be on another team next season. Is he a hold or a drop for someone like Zay Jones or another high upside WR on waivers?
- KC offense. You talked about Mahomes continuing to take shots downfield, plus Hunt's receiving role perhaps being taken by Kelce & their secondary WRs. However, you didn't mention Sammy, who I own (& love). Was this just because he's out injured? Hill struggled a bit yesterday and presumably having another mid-range to deep threat will help their offense- and Watkins if he can shake the foot issue.
- GB coaching change and impact on Rodgers. I know you should never take QBs early, but I did and he's been poor. Like to hear that they will try a less vanilla offense with more of the young WRs involved. Does this mean I continue to roll him out in playoffs, possibly with the exception of Bears in wk 15? I have Prescott on the bench with Colts that wk.
Sorry for the dump of questions and of course would be interested to hear what the rest of the great community on here think.
#2 By: hrr5010, December 4th, 2018 14:35
Hey Will! Thanks for the kind words! There's plenty of overlap between keeper leagues/dynasty leagues, so a lot of the discussion is relevant to your specific league.
1) I think Olsen's absence ROS will result in Funchess playing that role. None of: CMC/DJ Moore/Curtis Samuel present the kind of big bodied presence that towers over opposing CBs in the RZ, so I think Funchess retains value next year. Having him at a 9th/10th round valuation right now is terrific and I wouldn't consider dropping him for Zay Jones. Who are some of the other WRs on waivers, out of curiosity?
2) Sammy was a bit of an oversight given his injury woes. I have no idea if he's going to return this season or not, but he's yet to practice following the Chiefs' bye week. Granted, they didn't need much help in thrashing the hapless Raiders though, so hopefully its more of a "we don't need him, so no need to put him out there" situation. Have to keep following the situation closely.
3) I have no idea what to do with Rodgers here. I'm honestly going to have to consult the GLSP and a few other apps to figure it out. Dak feels like a better start, if only because both the Cowboys and Eagles are in the playoff hunt whereas neither the Falcons nor Packers have anything to play for.
#3 By: William Russell, December 5th, 2018 09:58
On point 1, I will hang on to Funchess and consider keeping him next year. Zay Jones has just been added anyway. However, we can only keep 3 maximum, and they must be drafted from Rd 4 onwards. At present I can keep any three of JuJu, Chubb, Boyd, Funchess, Samuel, Sutton or Tre'Quan. JuJu & Chubb are must-keeps. The third spot is up in the air.
I'm concerned about Sammy. Hoping he doesn't get shut down for the year. I hope that the Chiefs are just being cautious given his injury history and needing him for the post-season.
Rodgers is an enigma this season. But if ever there was a 'get right' game surely it's the Falcons in GB...
#4 By: hrr5010, December 5th, 2018 10:12
JuJu, Chubb and Boyd would be the three must keeps for me. Sutton is also interesting, depending on his cost. In that regard, I wouldn't be too worried about Funchess at all. FWIW - Samuel ALSO becomes an interesting keeper depending on cost and if they let Funch go/don't bother signing anyone else.
#5 By: William Russell, December 5th, 2018 12:22
Thankfully I have until around next August to decide, so I should have a good idea of who ends up where. If I keep the three you suggested I'm well-placed to either start WR-WR, or TE-WR/RB depending on how the 1st round pans out.
Ertz is a keeper in my league, so it's only really Kelce of the top tier TEs that are available to draft, unless Gronk gets a bionic back fitted this offseason.
#6 By: hrr5010, December 5th, 2018 12:52
Yeah.. you're better off avoiding the TE logjam I think. The value is almost never there. You can make up the difference at RB/WR and you're set to smash with your incredible RB corps.
#7 By: hrr5010, December 5th, 2018 13:04
@Will Sammy Watkins is back at practice. So let's hope for both yours and @FF_Contrarian's sake that he's 100% and ready to rip the league over the next 3 weeks.
#8 By: Ryan Blakeslee, December 5th, 2018 14:02
I was surprised to see GB -6. They lost to AZ at home and narrowly escaped when Bethard invaded Lambeau. Either the line is wrong or you play Rodgers with confidence in a bounceback spot. I lean towards he’s low to mid tier QB1 this week but then at Chi/Jets I’m not expecting much. Their effort will likely decline as they have nothing to play for and should be giving max time to developing younger players.
#9 By: thickfreakness, December 5th, 2018 14:38
I've been trying to talk a friend of mine out of playing Rodgers in the playoffs in one of his leagues.
He had picked up Baker but moved on to do some RB waiver blocking against a playoff opponent.
Am I crazy to consider Josh Allen or even Lamar Jackson (pending Flacco not playing) over Rodgers?
#10 By: hrr5010, December 5th, 2018 16:48
Yeah.. don't do that. Maybe Lamar, but i cant' see the case for Josh Allen.
#11 By: thickfreakness, December 5th, 2018 17:26
Is there a good reason not to consider it though? I'm not trying to be totally contrarian here, just looking at the numbers.
Since the bye, Aaron Rodgers has averaged 17 points in my league with 4pt Pass TD and 0.04 pts per passing yard. with a ceiling of 21.6 and a floor of 11.9.
While Josh Allen has scored 26.3 and 28.7 in the last two games, he does have a very low floor (1.9 points against GB in week 4), but his rushing ability has really bolstered his fantasy prospects.
Starting Allen over Rodgers in the playoffs would seem to be very RotoViz-ian.
#12 By: hrr5010, December 5th, 2018 19:31
No you've got one hell of a case! trust me. It's a terrific argument FOR Allen. my sole concern for the game is pace + the fact that you're quite reliant on him creating yards with his legs.
On the plus side - the Jets bleed rushing production to opposing rushers. So it's quite possible Allen breaks one off for a long TD. But his passing upside is supremely capped.
On the other hand - ATL ranks 29th vs. opposing QBs. Rodgers' recent bad string of games isn't THAT bad when you consider he did quite well vs. the Seahawks 3 weeks ago.
Truth be told - I'm wondering if there's alternatives on the waiver wire? I think i'd roll Rodgers, then Lamar, then Allen... but I can see the appeal for Allen over all 3.
Whats your matchup look like? Do you need a supremely boom/bust performance to ensure victory this week?
#13 By: William Russell, December 6th, 2018 06:03
@hrr5010 exciting news. let's hope he's in good health ahead of the Ravens game. Also very excited to hear that @FF_Contrarian is a fan/owner. Wondering if Sammy is worth risking as a start against tough Ravens outside CBs? High upside, but injury status unknown and Hill more likely to play in the slot, per ESPN's CB matchups piece.
Other questions linked to my keepers and the playoffs are whether I lose a backup/unlikely keeper like Funchess/Samuel/Tre'quan in order to grab a 2nd D/ST. I have Seattle, would like to keep them for 49ers game next wk, and want to get PIT or BUF. Do I drop a WR or my backup QB Prescott (PHI, IND, TB in playoffs).
Also, is Sutton an autostart (over Boyd, or in the flex) now Sanders is out? Or does being default no 1 WR make him bit more risky?
#14 By: thickfreakness, December 6th, 2018 09:58
It's not actually for my team, mostly just playing devil's advocate with a friend who is convinced Rodgers is continuing to be a good start through the playoffs in his league that goes to week 17 (woof). I think he might need that boom/bust type variance in his lineup for the week 16/17 part of the playoffs if he gets there.
This week I'd likely play Rodgers in hope of a post-McCarthy boom, but if you have one more week of Allen outperforming Rodgers, I'd feel pretty good about playing him ROS. GLSP prefers Allen over Rodgers by a fair bit for this week.
Any reason you'd be concerned that the rushing wouldn't continue? Allen still has a terrible floor, but his ceiling looks nice.
#15 By: hrr5010, December 6th, 2018 10:13
Week 17?! what on earth.. Someone help you friend. I think i'd play Rodgers this week, but you DEFINITELY want to play Allen going down the line.
GLSP results surprised me as well. I think some of the recent performances by Rodgers is mucking that up, but i could be wrong. My bigger concern about Allen is simply the lack of weapons + defenses adjusting to the style of play. if they're preparing for a mobile QB, they'll be more likely to take away the fantasy viability. The WRs with Zay and Robert Foster don't instill confidence.
@Will - i think you can sit Sammy if you're able to play Boyd and Sutton.
#16 By: Shawn Siegele , December 6th, 2018 14:37
@will @hrr5010 Not exactly on topic, but it's gross to hear that Benjamin is visiting the Chiefs.
#17 By: William Russell, December 6th, 2018 14:53
Urgh. Hope it's for a role as a dietary consultant rather than an onfield one...
#18 By: Dennis, December 8th, 2018 13:43
The no Odell panic decisions for Shawn and @hrr5010
I'm deciding between:
Wentz or a FA like Baker, J. Allen, Dak?
Pick 3 with at least 1 TE .5ppr:
Njoku, Vance McD, L.Blount, S. Shepard, N. Hines, Tre'q smith, (and FA options like Callaway, Zay jones, t. gabriel, TyMo)
Finally: pick your favorite 3 .5 ppr
a. cooper, Ekeler, J. Samuels (at RB), j, landry, m. mack, t. coleman, t. smith
#19 By: hrr5010, December 8th, 2018 13:59
I'm freaking out man. I lost OBJ on a bunch of playoff squads where I don't have the bye.
I'd roll out Baker or Dak over Wentz this week.
Njoku would be the TE for me. I'd play Shep + Hines (maybe the Colts trail and need plenty of Hines?) I also don't mind rolling out Blount with Kerryon out. I like Zay as well, but I prefer the other two options.
Cooper, Ekeler, Samuels for me. I don't hate swapping Samuels and Landry though.
#20 By: Dennis, December 8th, 2018 15:08
It’s brutal! I’m scrambling yeah. Ohhh Lamar is on Fa too is u prefer to wentz baker dak
next page →